Stickmen Just Get By Engineers; Defense Sparkles in 5-3 Victory

Sophomore Terry Vogt's spectacular, over-the-shoulder goal with two minutes left in the game clinched the Harvard lacrosse team's 5-3 victory over M.I.T. yesterday.

The Engineers didn't live up to their press notices in a game much more one-sided than the score indicates. Harvard's attackmen and saidfielders beat the M.I.T. defensemen to every free ball. Only the brilliant goaltending of the losers' Bob MacDonald kept the score close. Sophomore Marty Cain started the scoring as he took an errant M.I.T. pass and walked right through the defense. The Engineers tied it up a minute later, but Jan Bollinger's straight-on shot from in on Ted Leary's pass gave the Crimson a 2-1 edge at the end of the first period.

In the second period the Harvard often seemed to forget that the object of the game is to score. The Crimson attackmen passed brilliantly in the offensive zone but didn't bother taking any shots at the goal.

Meanwhile M.I.T. managed to score on its only two shots in the period and took a 3-2 lead into the second half.

The Crimson attack came alive in the third period. Cain got his second goal of the game at 3:40 to tie the score. Then attackman Keith Hutchinson put Harvard out in front to stay with an unassisted shot just above the outstreched log of the M.I.T. netminder.

Vogt's tally wrapped the game up as Harvard controlled the ball for all but two minutes of the fourth period.

The fears of Harvard coach Bruce Monro that injuries might hurt the team's chances weren't realized. Jan Bollinger's injured ankle didn't seem to affect his play in the least, and sophomore Fife Symington did a good job filling in for the injured Rick Loomis.

Symington teamed with Dave Davis and Dan Calderwood to allow only eight shots to get through to goalie Ron Wilson.

Davis, who had the wind knocked out of him with a crushing body check in the second period, continually carried the ball out of trouble to set up the Crimson attack.