Varsity Baseball Team Battles Yale Saturday

By Robert P. Marshall jr.

Saturday's baseball game at New Haven matches two teams whose only chance for a successful season rests upon walloping its arch rival. The Elis are currently in the Eastern intercollegiate Baseball League cellar with a 2-6 record, and the Crimson is right above at 3-5.

Harvard just completed the disastrous part of its schedule, losing 7-1 and 14-5 to Army and Dartmouth, the two best teams in the EIBL.

Two days ago Yale lowered its overall record to 7-18-1 by throwing away a 5-2 decision to Columbia, a 10-9 victim of Harvard last weekend.

Leading the Eli hitters are sophomore third baseman Ed Goldstone, captain Bob Bartlett, and left fielder Jack Walsh, better known for his hockey playing. But the batter who will probably be hardest to get out is right fielder Jud Devine, who led the Elis last spring and is riding a hot streak that includes a 4-for-5 showing at Columbia.

On the mound for Yale will be senior righthander Steve Kehas, who was used only as a spot reliever the last two seasons but has been an unexceptional workhorse this spring.

Opposing Kehas will be Jim McCandlish, who has emerged as the ace of the Crimson pitching staff. The junior southpaw has had a week's rest and with a good day and a little luck should shackle the Bulldog hitters.

With a righty going for Yale, shortstop Jeff Grate will probably return to the middle of the Crimson lineup.