Pardee and Wilson Lead Crimson To 119-35 Rout of Yale Trackmen

The varsity track team destroyed an injury-prone Yale team Saturday, and the performances of three sophomores indicated that the Crimson is ready to defend the Heptagonal championship it has held for two years.

The Yale meet might have been a close one, but when injuries kept shot putter Bob Greenlee and sprinter Mark Young away, and Henry Cole pulled a muscle in the 440, the Elis lost any chance of keeping the score respectable. It wound up at 119-35, the most humiliating slaughter in the meet's 75-year history, and the third year in a row that Harvard has run up 100 or more points on Yale.

A gusty wind kept times slow and led to several muscle pulls but the Crimson Kiddle Korps was impressive nonetheless Ron Wilson won three events for the fourth meet in a row. This time his big push came in the hammer, where he threw 177 ft. 3 1/2 in., his best ever. He has now improved a full 30 feet on his freshman performance in that event.

Wilson also won the discus (153-11 1/2) and the shotput (49-111/2).

Jim Baker doubled in the mile and two-mile for the first time this spring and won both events with ease. He trailed teammate Ran Langenbach through three laps in the mile, then watched Dick Howe, another sophomore, sprit into a five-yard lead down the backstretch of the last lap. But when Baker sprinted the last 100 yards, he caught Howe easily and won by 5 yards in 4:13.4, the last quarter in 60 seconds.

Harvard's Dave Allen led in the two-mile through seven laps before Baker raced down the stretch to win going away. He was timed in 9:18.8 and looked as if he could have taken ten seconds off his time with ease.

Trey Burns, another Crimson sophomore, won the 880 in 1:53.4, his best time this year on the Stadium track. But Burns had to go all-out to hold off Bob Stepson's last-lap challenge.

Jeff Huvelle, sprinting most of the distance into the wind, won the 440 in 49.0 seconds, with Dave McKelvey sneaking into second a step ahead of Sam Robinson in another Harvard sweep. No Yale runner placed in any race longer than the 220.

Sam Robinson won the 220 in 21.9 after Wayne Andersen pulled a muscle while leading the race. Anderson had won the 100 easily in 10.1 from Yale's touted Rich Robinson, who ran third behind Cole in the 220.

In the absence of Tony Lynch, still resting a pulled muscle, Jim Moore of Yale won the high hurdles in 15.0 and ran second to Harvard's Frank Haggerty (55.1) in the 440 intermediate hurdles.

Walt Campbell became the first Crimson performer to better 200 feet in the javelin when he edged teammate Tony Kilkuskie by six feet with a throw of 200-11.

For the fourth consecutive meet Chris Pardee won three events, taking the broad jump in 22-31/2, the triple jump in 44-1, and the high jump at 6-9. Moving up steadily an inch at a time from 6-4 in the high jump, Pardee cleared 6-9 on his first try to break Kim Hill's old meet record of 6-81/2. He failed in three attempts at 6-10, however, clipping the bar twice with his trailing leg.

Harvard swept the first three places in the pole vault, with Dave Bell beating teammate Pete Schooner at 13-6 on fewer misses.

In the 440 realay Bobby Leo, Joe Smith Randy Thompson, and George Patterson won without opposition 43.5 as Eli lead-off man Grafton Reeves pulled a muscle in the first 100 yards of the race.

McKelvy, Huvelle, Burns, and Robinson won the mile really in 3:19.0 against a Yale team without Cole and Young.