Playboy Parody Nets 'Poon Cash To Patch Castle

By Stephen D. Lerner

The Harvard Lampoon's Playboy Parody hit the newsstands in late August with 545,000 copies priced at $1.25 each and sold out in less than two weeks.

Expecting a profit of up to $150,000, the 'Poonies are already trying to devise ways to spend it. The bulk of the profit will be plowed back into the "Lampoon Castle" for restoring the interior, Jonathan F. Cerf '68 said last night.

After they have finished patching termite-holes, the Lampoon's business tycoons will decide if they have enough money left to fund a $50,000 scholarship for Harvard. There is also a good chance that some money will go to the annual Combined Charities Drive.

If the 'Poonies seem to have a talent for making money, they also seem to be able to spend it in a unique fashion. By next October 14 the 'Poonies hope to be ready for their annual spectacular. The date, in case you've forgotten, is the 900th anniversary of the battle of Hastings. Using the majestic Charles River as a stand-in for the English Channel, members of the Lampoon plan to stage a major re-enactment of the historic scene.

"We hope to have about 300 combatants in authentic dress to do the fighting, and are looking into the possibilities of renting (for the monetary equivalent of peanuts) six mamouth elephants to cross the Lars Andersen Bridge," Peter J. Gable '68 said.

One of the elephants, he continued, has the longest tusks in the world. Among other details to be worked out, the Lampoon has ordered 100 bows and harmless arrows.