Search Opens For a Master Of 10th House

The College has begun searching for a Master for the 10th undergraduate House, Mather House.

President Pusey said recently that he hoped an appointment could be made sometime this spring, leaving the new Master more than two years to become acquainted with the job before the House is completed.

The Master's major tasks during this period, according to Dean Monro, would be assembling Faculty associates for Mather's senior common room, familiarizing himself with the "community of the Master," and aiding in final design decisions on the House.

Most of the planning for Mather has already been done, and the architects are now working on detailed drawings. Construction is expected to start this spring and to be completed by the fall of 1969.

The House will consist of several lowrise units and a tower of about twenty stories; it will accomodate 400 students and is expected to ease room crowding in the other Houses.

By appointing the Master so long before the House's opening, the College follows the same pattern it did in the '50's when Quincy House was built. Then John M. Bullitt'43, the first Master, was named well in advance of the completion of construction.

"Bullitt learned a lot," Monro said. "Unless a man has been a senior tutor or a Master, it's pretty important that he get an idea what's going on."

The final selection of the Master rests largely with President Pusey. Dean Ford has already drawn up a list of possible men for the job. Ford and Pusey will discuss the different men and their qualifications, but Pusey makes the final decision and offers the Mastership personally.