Ambassador Dobrynin Visits Harvard

Anatoly F. Dobrynin, Soviet Ambassador to the United States, came to Harvard yesterday afternoon for a private, three-hour visit.

Dobrynin, in Boston to open a Soviet educational exhibit at Boston College, arrived at Harvard at 12:30 for a private luncheon at the Faculty Club.

Among the guests were J. Peterson Elder, dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences; Abram Bergson, director of the Russian Research Center; Wassily W. Leontief, professor of Fine Arts, and Paul G. Dety, professor of Chemistry. Two M.I.T. faculty members also attended. The group discussed education in the two countries.

After lunch Dobrynin strolled through the Yard on a short tour with William G. Anderson '39, University Marshal. Under the Harvard, American, and Russian flags raised in his honor, Dobrynin stopped to joke with associates and reporters. One of his party offered the ambassador's autograph to the few who recognized Dobrynin.

His limousine left from behind Widener shortly after 3 p.m. to take the ambassador to B.C., where he spoke later in the afternoon.

Sponsored by the State Department Cultural Exchange Program, the Soviet exhibit overviews the sequence of education in the U.S.S.R. Its 2100 displays, primarily made or written by Soviet students, range from children's drawings to research papers.

Dobrynin arrived in Boston shortly after noon Sunday. With host Jose de Valon '38, a Boston businessman, he went sight-seeing and visited B.C. Sunday and toured M.I.T. yesterday morning. He left by plane for Washington last night.