Jayvee Gridders Rip Indians, 18-7

Two breakaway scoring dashes in the fourth quarter sealed an 18-7 victory for the Harvard jayvees over Dartmouth at Soldier's Field yesterday.

Only seconds into the final period, with the Indians leading 7-6, Harvard's Neil Hurley grabbed an Indian punt on the Harvard 20-yard line and scampered 80 yards to score. Minutes later, burly Mike Georges exploded through the Dartmouth line, leaving five Green defenders, in his wake and galloped in from the Dartmouth 37 for the insurance tally.

Hard to Score

The entire first half was closely played. The Crimson managed to score only once. Late in the third period, quarterback Dave Smith engineered a drive from the Harvard 27 to the Dartmouth 9, mixing passes and hand-offs to backs John Ballantine and Lon Sardonis and end Earl Strayhorn. Smith found Ballantine in the end zone for the touchdown, but a two-point conversion attempt failed.

Harvard's defense stymied three Dartmouth scoring threats in the first half. Cornerback Ken Thomas, who ran back an interception 91 yards for a touchdown for the varsity against Columbia, picked off a pass in the Dartmouth end zone to stop a first-quarter Indian drive. Twice more, the Indians were stopped deep in Crimson territory, once forced to settle for a field-goal attempt which failed, and the other time to give up the ball to Harvard.

The Green scored their lone touchdown--and led for the only time in the game--after a sustained drive in the third quarter. Quarterback Bill Kinschner sneaked in from the 6, and Gary Blackman converted.

Friday's victory kept the jayvee's undefeated slate clean. It was Dartmouth's second loss in three outings.