Crimson Soccer Squad Annihilates B.U., 8-0

Nobody really wanted the second half. After all, the Harvard soccer team led Boston University, 5-0, and it seemed painfully apparent that that count would only grow worse in another thirty minutes of play.

But they played on, as one knew they would, and the Crimson went on to clobber B.U., 8-0, Saturday at Cumnock Field in the Harvard home opener.

B.U. has a rotten team, but Coach Bruce Munro's Crimson booters would have looked good in any case. In spots, they played some of their best soccer of the year, and gave indication that they will be ready to challenge for Ivy supremacy when League play begins this Saturday.

Gerry Montero, the hustling right wing completely outclassed B.U. goalie, Tom Damigella. Montero scored once, and contributed two valuable assists.

Senior fullback Dave Wright continued his bid for All-America honors with another standout performance. He didn't see the ball all that much Saturday, but whenever the B.U. forwards crossed the midfield stripe, he made them look worse than they already were.

B.U.'s only real offensive threat came after two minutes had been played. Crimson halfback Abi Azikiwe touched the ball in the penalty zone, giving the Terriers a free kick. But Mike Mutambiwra, the only B.U. player of any stature, muffed the shot, kicking the ball over the crossbar.

After that, it was all Harvard. The first score came midway through the first period when Montero pressured Damigella, forcing the goalie to drop the ball,, fifteen feet in front of the goal. Center-forward Ahmed Yehia then drilled the ball in for the first of his three tallies

The Crimson got a little more in the spirit of the game in the second quarter, adding four goals. Montero set up the first one, passing to Lutz Hoeppner out in front, and then bounced a pass off Damigella's chest which Jaime Vargas converted into a score.

Minutes later, Montero, who seemed to be in the right place all afternoon, headed the ball past Damigella on three bounces, after throwing a beautiful fake at the rookie goalie. Scott Robertson, last year's high scorer, knocked in a rebound from a Hoeppner shot right before the gun for the fourth goal of the period.

In the second half, Munro played his reserves quite liberally. After two Yehia tallies ballooned the score to 7-0. Nick Hallet, a sophomore forward, scored the ast goa midway into the third quarter, last goal midway into the third quarer, soccer.