Design School May Start New Construction In Fall

Harvard may begin construction of Gund Hall, the new home of the Graduate School of Design, as early as next Fall, according to President Pusey.

"It is our hope now, but this is very tentative, that construction will begin next autumn," Pusey said in an interview.

The Design School is still looking for nearly one million dollars for a new library which is to be a part of Gund Hall. A new architect must also be named. Pusey, who officially names the architect, said that both will "be coming to a boil very soon."

Once the architect is chosen for Gund Hall, the Faculty of Arts and Sciences will be forced to grapple with the future of Robinson and Hunt Halls, which currently house the Design School.

Several plans have been proposed for their use including remodeling for offices or classroom buildings and tearing one or both down for new freshman dorms.

The Design School has already gathered over $5.4 million from several major sources of the $6.3 million necessary for Gund Hall.

* $2 million from the Federal Government under the Federal Higher Education Act

* $2 million from the Gund family and Foundation

* $1.2 million from the College for the transfer of Hunt and Robinson Halls

* $250,000 from several family grants. The $6.3 million for Gund Hall is part of an $11.6 million Design Schol development fund drive. With eight months remaining in the drive, $8.5 million has already been given.

Over five million dollars from the fund will go toward endowment for four new chairs in inter-disciplinary areas--which are described as "intellectual bridges between the Design School and the rest of the University"--and for felowships in "advanced environmental studies."