McCarthy, in Speedy Boston Tour, Meets With 30 State Lawmakers

By Parker Donham

Senator Eugene J. McCarthy (D-Minn.) made a fastpaced five-hour trip to Boston yesterday, in an effort to gain support for his forthcoming primary battle with President Johnson.

The Senator arrived at Logan Airport at 8:30 a.m., attended a closed-door breakfast meeting with 30 Democratic state representatives, held a press conference, met privately with supporters, and departed for Washington at 1:30 p.m.

McCarthy told reporters he had not sought commitments of support from the Bay State lawmakers, but had "discussed problems that might be common to us."

Lester S. Hyman, chairman of the Democratic State Committee of Massachusetts, who was not invited to the breakfast session, appeared a half hour after it began "to say hello," and hastily departed.

New Hampshire?

A McCarthy aide indicated that the Senator probably would not officially enter the New Hampshire primary--the nation's first--but suggested that a last minute write-in campaign might be attempted. McCarthy said he had not yet made up his mind about the Granite State contest, but noted that it would take a lot of time and energy.

"I think there's a clear possibility Johnson can be denied the nomination," McCarthy said. "People who say we can win all the primaries and still be short of delegate votes aren't taking into account our other efforts. We're seeking delegates also in non-primary states."

Asked what he would consider a good showing in the April 30 Massachusetts primary, the Senator said, "I would like to win in Massachusetts. That would be the best kind of showing. I think there's a chance we could win."

"Do you still consider yourself a Democrat?" a reporter asked.

"I consider myself the Democrat," McCarthy answered. "If you accept the 1964 convention as a standard, I'm much closer to what Democratic delegates voted for in a platform, and I'm much closer to what Democrats voted for in the election."

Responding to criticism that his campaign to date had been "halfhearted and casual," McCarthy said, "I think any campaign has to be casual in the Christmas season." He noted that the primaries were still a long way off and said he would pick up the pace later on.