MRA

The Mail

As leaders of the group opposing Moral Re-armament, we feel that our purposes and activities were severely misrepresented in the CRIMSON. Demonstrations are difficult to control, and we wish to go on record as disassociating ourselves from those who treated the concert as a joke. The fact that we distributed a serious, responsible leaflet criticizing MRA was ignored, and we are not certain that the CRIMSON read it. One of us was instrumental in getting the YD's and YR's to present a disclaimer. Regrettably, mention of this was also omitted.

We hope that at least our response will have prevented MRA from using a mere appearance at an institution as an ostensible endorsement by it or any of its organizations--a device this group is fond of.

Bernard M. Knox '67

Peter W. Rogers '67

Richard W. Foster '67

Jacqueline Lindsay '67

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

As a member of the Harvard Republican Club Executive Committee, I think a few things should be made clear regarding the Sing Out appearance. The Republican Club helped sponsor this group because Sing Out has a right to express itself on this campus, and Harvard students have a right to hear that expression if they so choose. We will sponsor the expression of controversial views in the future, not because we necessarily endorse those views, but because it is our obligation to encourage free expression.

I think it unfortunate that the Young Democrats rather uncourageously tried to control the content of the Sing Out show. Furthemore, it seems strange that those individuals, who so effectively demonstrated their bad manners by shouting down Sing Out are always the first to proclaim themselves libertarians. Perhaps instead of merely quoting Voltaire they should try to understand him. Donald W. Meaders '69