Punta del Este

While all the pomp and all the military security that surrounded the American chiefs of state at Punta del Este was being dismantled this weekend, it was unclear just what this conference had actually contributed to the future of Latin America. There were two key themes of the meeting. The presidents formally committed their peoples to a "substantially operating common market" by 1985. And the United States firmly but politely let it be known that it supported the principle of preferential tariff policy by all industrialized nations toward the entire underdeveloped world, but would not accept Latin American demands for preferential treatment in U.S. markets. We do not wish to see the world economy split into two mutually exclusive trading zones - one in the Western Hemisphere, and another between Europe and her former colonies in Africa.

It is difficult to see why this conference was held at all or why it was held at this particular time. On the first point - a "common market" by 1985 - it is difficult to see why a chiefs-of-state meeting was needed to ratify this commitment. And on the second point - tariff policy - it is difficult to see why the meeting should have been held before the conclusion of the Kennedy Round in Geneva, that is, before we see whether our allies in Europe are willing to relax their exclusive preferential treatment of goods from Africa.

There can be no doubt that a more rational organization of capital and labor and trade is crucial for Latin America. But beyond this, there are larger questions. Who will reap the benefits of this expanded market south of Texas.

This is the kind of question that was raised at Punta del Este six years ago when the American foreign ministers hammered out the Alliance for Progress. And yet, last week in the same halls and conference rooms, for all the paens so readily raised to the Alliance, there was surprisingly little talk of how the social and political and economic structure of Latin societies can be changed.

In this respect, last week's meeting can almost be viewed as a retreat from facing up to the difficult issues raised in the concept of the Alliance for Progress. When all is said, today the Alliance is staggering and suffering through a lack of resolve almost everywhere in the Hemisphere.