Meet George Scialabba, 19 He likes to play Squash He is a Junior at Harvard He can read 2000 words a minute

Watching George's hand fly over the pages (his hand acts as a pacer) you can't believe that he's actually reading. He must be skimming.

But he's not.

George can now read his average assignment in 1/3 to 1/2 the time that it took him before he completed the course. With the time that he has gained he plans to pursue an independent interest in philosophy.

Moreover, he can comprehend and recall what he's read--right down to the particulars.

George is not a mental freak. Nor does he naturally read so fast. He learned this revolutionary technique of rapid reading at the Evelyn Wood Reading Dynamics Institute...along with more than 5500 other graduates in the Boston Area.

George was one of our better students. He started the course at about 400 words a minute and increased his rate 5 times. Our average student begins at about 300 words a minute and graduates at speeds over 1200 words a minute.

You can do this, too

Reading Dynamics students often say that reading dynamically is like watching a movie. One has no sense of reading words. As George describes it. "The ideas come more rapidly; connections emerge more readily; the whole is more intelligible."

You may not learn to read quite as fast as George (and then again you might!), but the nationally known Reading Dynamics Institute guarantees that you'll at least triple your reading efficiency with good comprehension--or receive a full tuition refund.

Just to show you that George is not unique, here are typical samples of progress in words per minute by Reading Dynamics graduates in the Boston Area.

Improvement by typical graduates in words per minute.*   Easy  Easy  Easy  Dif.  Dif. Name  Occupation  Bg.  End.  Bg.  End Burns, K., engineer  440  1536  272  2464 Bonner, P., sales rep.  292  816  320  840 Honeywell Carlson, E., engineer  240  1000  210  1100 Cleary, M., salesman  365  1728  240  1920 Dushman, B., B.U. student  536  2583  522  2510 Fabiyi, E., trainee, A.D.L.  220  1584  270  780 Hamlen, D., ins't supervisor  490  1500  402  1000 Hoagland, J., vice pres.  320  3000  236  1160 Jones, L., assoc. prof.  415  3225  280  2416 Jones, M., math teacher  362  624  260  1160 Turner, A., librarian  278  840  272  934 Peet, G., planning engineer  403  1584  230  958 Liveson, ay, dr. of neurology  652  2450  450  2100 McCarriston, J., student  356  1608  272  900 Morgan, E., mgr. mtg. eng.  500  2100  400  1000 Morse, H., employer Medinet  475  1600  747  1520 Noyes, W., seminary stud.  528  1200  340  1450 Piper, H., Harvard student  500  1488  420  1100 Puricelli, R., jr. claim exam.  329  2392  294  2243 Read, N., B.U. student  317  1375  258  870 Rudolf, H., consultant  205  770  174  550 Saunders, W., copy writer  419  2100  380  1060 Shields, E., sales rep.  269  1722  224  1200 Smith, R., Harvard B. School  536  2016  350  2250 Souza, L., teacher  148  1008  154  1392 Thayer, S., Harvard stud.  232  1728  310  1500 Onora, Oneill, teach. fellow  576  1289  344  950 Ford, J., teacher  401  972  288  1200

*These are test rates only. The average student reads 1 1/2 to 3 times faster than his ending test rates.

Utah school teacher discovers technique of dynamic reading.

Evelyn Wood first observed dynamic reading 18 years ago when a professor at the University of Utah read her term paper at an amazing 6000 words a minute. Mrs. Wood's curiosity caused her to look for other exceptional readers, and over the next few years she found 50 people who could read faster than 1500 words per minute, with fine comprehension, outstanding recall and great reading satisfaction.

She was now sure it was possible to read faster than anyone had thought, but the question of how was not yet answered. It took 8 years of toil and research, to find the answers. Eventually she developed a technique whereby the average student was able to learn to read 3 to 10 times faster.

She taught the method at the University of Utah for three years, refining it even more. Further studies were conducted at the University of Delaware, and the first Reading Dynamics Institute was opened in Washington, D.C. in September, 1959. Since that time, institutes have been opened in 61 cities throughout the country, and national enrollment for the course has topped 250,000.

Comprehension is stressed.

At a recent teacher training conference, Mrs. Wood emphasized that dynamic reading is nothing like the skimming techniques commonly used in speed reading courses. She said, "Skipping words is dangerous, as you don't know whether or not you have skipped a word which could change the whole meaning of the sentence."

"You read five times faster," she pointed out, "not by reading every fifth word, but by reading five times as many words in the same amount of time. Mrs. Wood emphasized that using her technique of rapid reading, every word on the page is noted.

No mechanical pacers.

She was also critical of reading courses that use a mechanical pacer, as students tend to revert to previous reading speeds once the pacer is not there to help them. When reading dynamically, the reader's hand is used as a pacer.

Comprehension is stressed.

No mechanical pacers.