Shaw Sets Mile Mark With 4:05.7 at Garden

Roy Shaw broke the Harvard indoor mile record and fellow sophomore Keith Colburn made his long-anticipated varsity debut in the Boston Athletic Association track meet at the Boston Garden Saturday night.

Junior Dick Benka won the shotput with a 54' 1/2" toss and Harvard's senior quartet finished second to Villanova's two-mile relay team in other collegiate highlights of the meet.

Shaw turned in a time of 4:05.7 to come in fifth behind Sam Bair's New England record-breaking 4:01.6. The sophomore from California, who ran a 4:03.4 outdoors last summer, broke Jim Baker's weeks-old mark by two-tenths of a second.

Colburn, who has been nursing an Achilles tendon for three months, made a creditable showing in the New England Collegiate 880, finishing second to Northeastern's Peter Hoss in 1:55.2. The sophomore's elbows at least were none the worse for the layoff as he fought through a ten-man field.

Harvard's unit of captain Jeff Huvelle, Baker. Trey Burns, and Dave McKelvey established itself as the second best two-mile relay team in the East with a 7:33.8 clocking. Baker busted open a lead for Harvard with a 1:51.9 second leg, and Burns held ten feet of it for McKelvey.

But the Crimson anchorman, who was in his second race of the night, couldn't hold off Villanova's Dave Patrick, who is an indoor half-mile world record holder. Harvard's time was 1.2 seconds behind Villanova and .2 off the University record the same quartet produced in last winter's BAA.

McKelvey's 49.8 in the Ryder 440 was a career best for the senior and good enough for a close second behind B.C.'s Larry Jeffers. McKelvey led until the wire.

Steve Schoonover cleared 15'6" in the pole vault but missed at 16' 1" as Bob Seagren went on to a 17-foot vault. The Harvard freshmen beat B.C., UMass, and Holy Cross in a mile relay and Exeter topped Andover for the fourth straight year.

Bill Cobb reached the semi-finals in the sprints as did Bob Rittenburg, Harvard's track captain in 1955, in the hurdles.

"If I can even run 50 yards 13 years from now I'll be happy," commented present captain Huvelle as he watched his predecessor in awe.