Son et Lumiere

The Light Showgoer

By Gregg J. Kilday

IT SOUNDED like the city of Boston just might be offering a belated apology to the hippies who were treated so ungraciously on the Common this past summer, when it announced "The Sound and Light Experience." Plans had been submitted by PULSA, a research group from the Department of Art at Yale, to install 55 strobe lights under the surface of the normally staid Swan Pond, and to surround the Public Garden with 52 polyplaner speakers. The whole computer operated program promised "a factual, physiological experience of rhythmic patternings of light and sound energies, the rate and scale of which resemble the neuro-electrical basis of human consciousness."

But the results would hardly qualify for a sideshow in a Festival of Life. The display simply consists of white explosions of light which dart erratically about, accompanied by an electronic tape which chortles across the pond in spontaneous gurgles. If it proves anything, I'm afraid it indicates "the neuro-electrical basis of human consciousness" resembles nothing more than a phrenetic, McLuhanized frog pond.

"The Experience"--which is running from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. nightly--until October 27--is attracting little attention. Most of the older couples who cut through the Garden on their way to the Ritz and Beacon Hill seem slightly embarrassed and pretend not to notice. The other night, a group of teenagers, passing around a joint, could be seen paying more attention to a radio which was playing Hey, Jude. Only a confused drunk really objected. But after yelling, "Shut it off," a few times, he left.

THE PARKS and Recreation Department have taken a noncommittal attitude. Trying to pass the show off as "just another part of the park," they have stated, "Like any piece of art, if you're excited, you're excited. If you're annoyed, you're annoyed."

Actually, if you hang around long enough "The Experience" can be mildly diverting. The speakers on the north side seem to carry on a desultory conversation and under the footbridge whatever excitement there is, is magnified. However, the project is not concentrated enough to be successful. You soon find yourself watching the more interesting reflections made by the neon lights on Boylston Street.

Given the fact that "The Experience" is being funded through a federal grant the Boston Redevelopment Agency has received as part of an experimental urban beautification program, one can't help but suspect the city is really trying to drive the hippies away for good by giving them too much of their own medicine. If the attempts stay this tepid, boredom may become Boston's secret weapon.