PROGRESS AND RHETORIC AT TUFTS

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

I should like to reply to Robert M. Krim's article in the CRIMSON describing recent events at Tufts University regarding the faculty's delegation of responsibility to the residence halls to create their own living environment.

We've spent a great deal of time during the past year on campus discussing the facts of the rhetoric of white racism. So I find it very depressing to see the progress made at Tufts regarding dormitory life described in a similarly obnoxious rhetoric. The administration did not "capitulate," nor were "demonstrations...threatened." Indeed, the decisions that were made were not made "by a student-faculty -administration committee." There were no student members voting when the committee took action last week. What there was consisted of a healthy, reasonable dialogue between the students living in residence halls, and the faculty. The administration gave us all a strong measure of support. There were no cadres, intrigues, and hardly a confrontation. The students pleaded eloquently, and we responded responsibly. Parietals was not the issue; we engaged the larger question of student responsibility in matters of dormitory life. In the end, everyone gained. Sol Gittleman   Chairman   Committee on Student Life