Tankers Sink Before Army

Despite another double victory by sophomore Steve Krause, the varsity swimming team lost its Eastern Inter-collegiate League opener to Army, 62-51, at West Point on Saturday, balancing its record at 1-1.

Krause, who broke the Harvard 1000-yard freestyle record against Springfield on Tuesday, took firsts in the 500-yard free and the 200-yard individual medley, beating his opponent in the medley by .3 seconds. Krause also swam on the 400-yard freestyle relay team, which downed the Cadets in the final event to make the meet score more respectable.

The diving competition disappointed the Crimson, for Harvard ace Bill Murphy had to settle for second place in both the three-meter and the one-meter behind Army's Ed Greene.

Takes Two

Harvard managed to sweep two events, however. In the 500-ward free, Dave Powlison finished second to Krause, while Johnny Munk and Captain Marty Chalfie captured the top two spots in the 200-yard butterfly. The fly brought the Crimson within seven points of the Cadets, but Army swept the next two events to eliminate their opponents.

Sophomores Toby Gerhart and Mike Cahalan also made significant contributions. Gerhart lost to Army's Jack Frink by a mere .2 seconds in the 200 yard free, was third in a close 100-yard free, and swam the second leg for the successful freestyle relay team. Cahalan narrowly succumbed to Army's speedster Pete Heesch in the 50-yard free and competed with Gerhart in the relay.

The Crimson swimmers made a strong bid in the 200-yard breaststroke as Steve Baumgart and Buzz Cummins finished second and third, but Barry Kerr's win clinched the meet victory for Army.

This Saturday the aquamen will play host to the rival servie team when they take on the Midshipmen of Annapolis at 4 p.m. in their second league contest.