Shopping Around

The Vagabond

THE prose style of Harvard's course catalogue can make a literate student pretty drowsy. Most programs are chosen by word of mouth, and among those students who plow regularly through their catalogues, there is a tendency to dismiss whole areas of human endeavor, like Soil Mechanics and Urdu, which appear to the untrained eye irrelevant. Yet a careful reading of the catalogue brings scholastic joy to a small, notoriously uncommunicative group of undergraduates who have effected a virtual monopoly over the University's more exotic, which is to say more enjoyable, selections. Opposing monopoly, we bring this list forthwith to the learning public.

Aerospace Studies 50. Blimp Warfare. Hours to be arranged. A broadly based reconsideration of the role of the blimp in modern warfare, with a prospectus for the future.

Church History 125. Origins of the New Parochialism. M., W., F., Sun. at 8. Assistant Professor P. Jungle Corkery. An attempt to use sociological "method" to trace the growth and progress of anti-rebelliousness in selected Anglo-Saxon communities of the 8th century A.D., and to relate the growth of this phenomenon to the current resurgence of New Parochialism as a way of life.

Economics 213a. White Slavery. T., Th. from 9-5. and further hours can be arranged. Captain L. B. Patch and assistants.

Economics 213b. White Trash. M., W. from 9-12, 1-5. Captain L. B. Patch. Prerequisite: Economics 213a.

English P. Character Assassination. T., Th. at 10. Assistant Professor W. M. Pegler. Styles of insult, derogation and condescension

English 216. Ambivalence in the Victorian Novel. M., W., F. at 9. Dr.--or Dr.--. An historical study of confusion and indecision as keys to the life and work of selected British authors from Scott to Wodehouse.

Near Eastern Languages 140. Human Understanding. M., W., F., at 11. Professor Akefa Uruga. A highly personal, individualized treatment of spiritual communion among higher animals. Meetings will be conducted in silence; knowledge of a language is not required.

Social Relations 135. Harvard. M. (W.) at 12. Professor Emeritus F. R. Kent-Winchell. Leisurely reminiscences of half a century among the intellegentsia, with special emphasis on personal habits, social mishaps and unexpected departures in an intellectual community

Visual Studies 144. Spirit Photography. Meetings at the discretion of the instructor. Visiting Professor P. T. Serios.

English 276. Robert Anderson, Sherwood Anderson, Robert Sherwood, and Maxwell Anderson. M., W., F. at 10. Dr. R. S Maxwell