GSA Antics

THE antics of the Graduate Student Association Council during the past two weeks sound like maneuverings of fifth-grade wastebasket monitors. It is difficult to believe that a group of Harvard graduate students could engage in such petty scheming.

The Council has traditionally been apolitical, concentrating on extended arguments over the purchase of color television sets and the sponsorship of sherry parties. This year a few members tried to enliven the group by suggesting some vaguely political activities. After persistent stalling, the council finally agreed to conduct a referendum on the Vietnam war.

By the next meeting, a number of council members had decided that even a referendum was too radical for them and the resolution was rescinded. Much argument and several hours later, the referendum was reinstated, but only with working that severely reduced the chances of a dovish result. Moreover, only GSA members, who constitute only 1500 of the 4500 graduate students and are probably a relatively conservative group, would be allowed to vote. Finally, the number of polling places was restricted.

The council majority was also distressed that David Feintuch, editor of the GSA Bulletin, had transformed it from a monthly notice column into a bi-weekly newspaper, containing features and editorials. When the paper criticized President Pusey's annual report, the council balked. It denied a previously promised seat to the editorial's author, Michael Schwartz. At the same meeting conservative council members spread reports that Dean Elder had called for Feintuch's removal -- reports which Elder has since vigorously denied. Under pressure from the conservatives, the council voted to forbid the Bulletin editor from making statements to the press as a representative of the GSA or the Bulletin.

After Feintuch was interviewed for a Crimson feature this weekend, council president Paul Munyon decided to fire him. Not yet content, Munyon changed the locks at the Bulletin's headquarters lest the erstwhile editor attempt to sneak back in.

Despite the council's harassment, the GSA activists have managed to squeeze out an emasculated sort of referendum. But the highjinks and obstructionism suggest that working through the council may not be worth the time and trouble.