Harvard Gets Equipment For New Gymnastics Club

Harvard will soon have complete gymnastic equipment for the first time in over 40 years. Determined efforts by Steven E. Landau '70 at obtaining a coach, an exercise room, and $2500 worth of new equipment have proved once again that there's always someone around Harvard who will approve a good idea.

About 25 students have expressed an interest in a gymnastics club, Landau said yesterday. They will begin to work out in the exercise room on the third floor of Hemenway Gym as soon as the new equipment is installed.

The club has obtained the coaching services of Joseph L. Massimo, a former Olympic gymnast. He will be at Hemenway two or three afternoons per week this spring. The new facilities will be available to the Harvard community whenever the building is open.

To replace the "hopelessly antiquated and unsafe" old equipment, the Athletic Department has ordered a sidehorse, a high-bar, a set of parallel bars, three mats suitable for tumbling, and a complete spotting and suspension system for safety. The club also has the use of a set of rings and the trampoline at the IAB, Landau said.

Next winter the club may compete against freshman teams in the Boston area or against other New England colleges with new teams. It will be some time before Harvard will be ready to compete against the established Ivy League teams, Landau said.

Landau is optimistic about the club because of the "large number of natural athletes around Harvard who are potentially good gymnasts."