MIXER SCRAPPING

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

Dean Watson's latest maneuver in regard to the Mixer policy of Harvard has been an insult to the intellectual and social dignity of the Harvard undergraduate . . .

One can appreciate troubles with student identification (who wants 13 or 14 years olds anyway?) and the fire hazards of an overcrowded hall. But one cannot accept the "scrapping of big mixers" because some girls who just don't get asked to dance, "go back and complain to deans and parents, who, in turn, complain to us (the deans)."... Those girls that are dissatisfied just should not come back. Why should we, as Harvard undergraduates, be penalized in our social sphere because of a group of snivelling girlings who lack any social maturity to handle the situation?

The Machiavellian (announcing first changes in mixer policy on the first day of final exams) and high-handed manner in which the Dean and Masters have handled this alleged problem is enough to raise any undergraduate's anger. After dictating what had to be done, Dean Watson, graciously (or should I say benevolently?) stated that HUC "should consider the whole isue of mixers." What is there left to consider for HUC except the practical problems of the implementation of the Dean's and Master's Dictat? This is the perfect example of HUC being forced to act as the Administration's rubber stamp. Perhaps Dean Watson will find HUC a bit more uncooperative this time around. After all, we do have our personal pride . . .

Are the students so unimportant that some nebulous alumnus' comprehension of "Harvard Life," or some "public relations problem" completely overrides students' real, just, and overwhelming wishes to shape their own living environment? President Pusey has stated that Harvard enters into the concerns of society through its students. Harvard then gains its vitality through the deeds of its student body. Why then does the Administration treat us as mere transients at an institution? . . .

The time for a joint and equal partnership of students and Administration is now. It can begin now by giving HUC the power to act and decide on student questions with-out the imposition of a hostile and unyielding administration. Lance E. Lindblom '70   Quincy House HUC Representative