SDS Plans April Protest, Rejects Strike of Students

A proposal for a national strike in protest of imperialism and racism was rejected this weekend by a Massachusetts Regional Conference of Students for a Democratic Society (SDS).

The purpose of the conference, held at Harvard, was to plan activities for the period of April 20-30, declared by national SDS a time for intensive anti-war work on campuses. Fifteen colleges throughout the Commonwealth were represented by about 100 students.

The group decided to send members to a committee of the Boston Draft Resistance Group which is planning coordinated demonstrations at a munitions factory in Hingham, Mass., and on college campuses in the Boston area.

The Atlantic Research Corporation, owner of the factory, had as of June, 1967, $228,593 invested in it by Harvard, according to the University's financial report. MIT also has investments in the corporation.

The motions passed during the 7 1/2 hour meeting yesterday will be used as suggestions for the ten day period. Individual colleges may choose which ones they will participate in. The proposals adopted were:

* A march on April 20 to protest the proposed MBTA fare hike.

* Teach-ins during the ten days on imperialism and popular revolution.

* Anti-draft demonstrations and encouragement of new anti-draft unions.

* Programs involving students and their on-campus activities directly. Two suggested were: 1) a coordination of course material and the anti-war, anti-imperialist movement, and 2) rallying of student opposition to officer training, on-campus recruiting, and investment in the war.

* Declaration of one of the days as a day of solidarity with Texas State University and Orangeburg, South Carolina students.

Committees have been set up to coordinate the local and statewide programs, and there will be a Boston area SDS conference in five weeks to work out the final details of the ten day period