Crimson Bows to B.C., Checked on Three Hits

Boston College scored four runs in the third inning yesterday to hand the varsity baseball team its second straight loss in the Greater Boston League, 5-2.

Crimson batters had their worst afternoon of the season as they collected only three hits in 37 trips to the plate.

Starting pitcher Bob Dorwart ran into control trouble in the third inning.

With one out he gave up a single and then walked three batters in a row to give B.C. its first run. A two run single up the middle finished him and Ray Peters closed out the inning by allowing one more run on a sacrifice fly.

The Crimson rallied briefly in the sixth and seventh innings when they scored unearned runs, but B.C. retaliated with a tally in the eighth to pad its margin.

Jeff Grate singled in the sixth--Harvard's first hit of the game. He reached second on a pickoff error, went to third when Dick Manchester's fly was dropped in left field, and scored on John Ignacio's sacrifice fly.

In the following inning, Ken Thomas scored the other Crimson run when B.C.'s leftfielder dropped another ball, this one belted out by pinch-hitter Jim Reynolds.

Ray Peters looked strong as he worked three and a half innings. He was particularly effective when confronted with baserunners, picking one off second and collaborating with catcher Jack Turco on a pitchout that caught another B.C. runner stealing second.

Bob Lincoln finished up the last two innings and gave up one run. As in the loss to B.U. a week ago, when Dorwart was effective in relieving Peters, the Harvard bullpen was excellent.

The infielders played well yesterday, committing only two errors. In both cases they recovered with double plays to end scoring threats.

The loss demonstrates the fluctuations of which Harvard's batsmen are capable. On Saturday they scored 11 runs against/Springfield, but yesterday they managed only three hits. Only Jeff Grate performed well at the plate as he walked twice and hit two singles in five times at bat. Coupled/with the loss to B.U., the defeat yesterday all but eliminates the Crimson from repeating as the Greater Boston League champions.