Strong Crimson Thinclads Should Dispose of Tigers

Harvard's powerful track team journeys to Princeton today to dispose of one challenger to its Ivy crown. The Tigers have a handful of outstanding performers, but Harvard coach Bill McCurdy is confident of victory.

Semor Frank Haggerty will be doing yeoman duty. In addition to his speciality--the hurdles--he will participate in the 440 yd. relay. Captain Jeff Huvelle thinks Haggerty is on the verge of breaking Harvard's hurdle records.

Pole-vaulter Steve Schoonover may finally soar over the 16 ft. mark. He's been disappointing his fans for two years, but McCurdy feels that today's meet may be the big one.

Besides running Haggerty in the sprint relay, McCurdy is trying one other experiment. He will use Doug Hardin in both the mile, where he'll team with Jim Baker against Princeton ace Al Andreini, and in the two mile where he'll face the Tigers' Eamon Downey.

Andreini--a veteran Ivy performer with a "choke" reputation--and Downey broke Princeton records against Penn last Saturday.

But simple comparison of last Saturday's times with Harvard performances is misleading because Princeton ran on Penn's "Tartan" track, a composition of cork and rubber which is faster than Harvard's cinder surface.

In the javelin, Princeton's Bauer may push Frank Champi to a Crimson record. Champi threw 225 ft. in practice this week, while Bauer hurled 202 ft. against Penn. The existing Harvard mark is a 218 ft. 1 in.

Events where Princeton runners could score victories include the 440 yard relay and the 880. In the latter a stiff fight is expected between Endricat of the Tigers and Royce Shaw and Trey Burns.

The field events look safe for the Crimson, although Jim Coleman will need a great performance to upset Princeton's Weisinger in the high jump. Schoonover and Bog Galliers in the broad jump are probably too strong for the Tigers. And the muscular quartet of Wilson, Benka, Ajootian, and Champi insures Harvard domination of the weight events.

Overall, Harvard's depth should be too much for the Tigers. Discussing the meet, McCurdy said that while is not taking Princeton lightly, he felt that his team was stronger and should win comfortably. Then, referring to the hamstring sophomore standout Keith Colburn pulled last week, he said, "If I can keep from crippling everybody in practice."