Peters Pitches Three-Hit Shutout As Varsity Nine Crushes Cornell

By David M. Sloan

Harvard's pitching ace Ray Peters was near perfect Friday as he held Cornell batters to three singles and struck out 10 enroute to a 4-0 shutout.

Peters, now 6-0 in league play, muffled Cornell bats so effectively that only one oposing player reached second base during the entire game.

Cornell's lonely baserunner reached second when the Big Red put together two hits in the second inning. But Peters quickly extinguished Cornell's only threat by striking out the side.

For the remainder of the game Peters was untouchable. He retired sixteen men in a row from the fourth inning until two out in the ninth when the fireballer issued his only walk of the game.

Harvard's hitters iced the contest early by scoring a run in each of the first four innings. After second baseman Dick Manchester had singled home John Ignacio in the first, leadoff man Jeff Grate rammed a triple to drive home Peters in the next inning.

Right fielder Ken O'Connel continued the scoring in the third inning when he doubled home Pete Karegeannes. Captain Carter Lord gave the Crimson an insurance run in the following inning by driving in Peters, who had been hit by Cornell's hurler.

Tied with Army

The victory boosted the squad's record to 7-1 and kept Harvard tied with Army for the Eastern League lead.

Harvard can clinch a tie for the Eastern League crown by defeating Yale in the last game of the season on Wednesday. Bob Dorwart will start against Northeastern tomorrow, but Peters will probably get the call against the Bulldogs.