Blacks Want The City To Move On Requests

Eight members of the executive board of the Cambridge Black Community (CBC) last night told the City Council that the City wasn't moving fast enough to meet a list of requests given them last month by the CBC.

James Washington Jr., chairman of CBC, hinted that the City may face racial violence this summer unless more is done for the blacks. "I just can't impress upon the Council the urgency of what has to be done," Washington said.

Cambridge Thanked

He and other CBC members thanked the City for improved street cleaning in black areas, but said very few of their other requests--such as better police protection and more hiring of blacks--"have been tackled in the way the City should tackle them."

CBC member Charles Stead suggested that the City put foot patrolmen in the black areas around the clock and stop the "highballing"--speeding of trucks--along streets in black areas.

Acting City Manager Ralph J. Dunphy promised to have the police chief act on the problem before the end of the week.

The Council also voted to:

* Set up a meeting among Dunphy, the CBC, and Recreation Director Paul G. Cowles to discuss, the renovation of Hayt Fied--a playground used mostly by blacks.

* Have the Director of Finance and Personnel meet with the CBC to find out how to get more blacks onto the City's payroll.

* Ask City Solicitor Philip M. Cronin '53 to provide blacks with information on how to get discrimination in housing complaints acted on by the State Commission Against Discrimination.

The CBC will hold an open meeting of the black community on Sunday to discuss the City's response to their requests