27 Members of Harvard Faculty Choose 'Thinking Man's' Candidate

One thousand American college and university faculty members, including twenty-seven from Harvard, have subscribed to the statement that Hubert Humphrey is "the thinking man's choice for next President of the U. S.", and have become charter members of a national Professors for Humphrey Committee.

Samuel P. Huntington, Chairman of Harvard's Department of Government, will serve as one of three Chairmen of the committee. His co-leaders are Paul Seabury, Professor of Political Science at Berkeley, and Carl A. Auerbach, Professor of Law at the University of Minnesota.

In a joint statement, members of the committee said:

"From Hubert Humphrey's early career as a professor through his years in the Senate and as Vice President, he has maintained close contact with the academic community. Today's endorsement by 1000 college professors reflects only part of his support within this community.

"Hubert Humphrey is a great leader because, among other qualities, he is a great educator of the American public. His innovating role in the areas of disarmament and arms control, civil rights, social development and international economic and political cooperation testify to his capacity for creative leadership. We believe he will be an outstanding President."

Many of the committee's members, such as Huntington, who heads the task force that advises Humphrey on underdeveloped nations and particularly Vietnam, are veteran supporters of the Vice President. Their activities "will greatly expand when the fall semester begins", a committee press report stated.

Among other Harvard teachers belonging to the group are Oscar Handlin, Charles Warren Professor of American History; Seymour Martin Lipset, Professor of Sociology; James Q. Wilson, Professor of Government; and James Vorenberg, Professor of Law.