Div. School Colloquium To Study Harvard's 'Moral Responsibilities'

The theme of the Third Harvard Divinity School Colloquium this spring will be "Moral Responsibility in the University," Krister Stendahl, Dean of the Divinity School, announced Wednesday.

"Events at the School this week have led the faculty to the conviction that the time for this is now," Stendahl said during his first address as the Dean of the Divinity School. Stendahl continued throughout the sermon to refer only indirectly to the incident involving Paul Olimpieri, a Marine who took sanctuary in the Divinity School Chapel last Sunday.

In the past, the Colloquium has been a major event at the Divinity School. The first one, held in 1963, discussed Protestant-Catholic relations; the second, in 1966, dealt with Jewish-Christian relations.

Stendahl gave only brief details of what the 1969 Colloquium would entail. The previous two have included both closed and open sessions, where opposing views were candidly discussed.

For this Colloquium, Stendahl stated his "intention to invite during the spring, representatives from the various segments of this University, the governing boards, administration and students, faculty and Buildings and Grounds, the University Police and the Health Service."

A faculty-student committee at the Divinity School will be set up to plan the Colloquium, but Dean Stendahl, who was in Chicago yesterday, has not yet announced the committee members.

The Colloquium topic was suggested much earlier, but not approved until the faculty met on Tuesday evening, while Olimpieri was still in the Divinity School Chapel.