Champi, Dowling Draw Again, 0-0

Much-storied Yale football star Brian Dowling and hitherto unheralded Harvard ace Frank Champi matched vocal cunning on Saturday's quiz show, Dating Game, and both lost out to some hotshot from the West Coast with a moustache.

The Dating Game has a single contestant pick a date from the voices of three hidden boys (. . .if she is a girl; girls, if he is a boy, of course). The people she picks from usually include one or two people of fifth-rank fame, old boyfriends, and total unknowns. She gets to ask each of them a number of what-would-you-do-in-the-following-situation style of questions for a few minutes before she makes her choice.

While the girl was still in the sound-proof booth, Dowling was identified as "the hero of his college newspaper's comic strip." Champi, who threw all the passes for 16 points to tie Yale in the last 42 seconds, was later identified as being also a writer of poetry.

Asked what his idea of good, clean fun was, Champi said, "running along the bank of the river making a fool of myself." Dowling said it was "taking a nice warm bath."

What kind of weather represented what was going on inside Dowling's head? "A cool, calm day; because that's the way I always like to keep my head."

But such answers were not enough to turn the heart of the girl who got to choose. She went for the hotshot, who had introduced himself in French.

The Dating Game's idea of a date was to send them to Australia where they would be given the keys to the city of Sydney by its mayor "loose Bruce Small."