Thousands Here Will Join National Moratorium Day

Thousands of members of the Harvard community will voice their opposition to the war today as they take part in Moratorium activities.

The Harvard demonstrations are part of a nation-wide movement calling for prompt American withdrawal from Vietnam.

Last night, Congressmen supporting the Moratorium kept the House of Representatives in session until shortly after 11 p.m. Opponents of an all-night vigil succeeded in forcing an adjournment by a close vote of 112-110.

Small Attendance Expected

Although President Pusey has refused to cancel all classes officially. most students are not expected to attend classes at Harvard today and many instructors have cancelled their classes.

The major event in Boston today is a massive rally on the Boston Common where Sen. George McGovern (D-S.D.) and others will speak. Over 100,000 people. including students and faculty from all Boston area colleges, are expected to attend.

Participants will march to the Common from several spots. including the Cambridge Common. Meeting at the corners of Massachusetts and Commonwealth Avenues in Boston. they will then proceed directly to the rally, scheduled to begin at 3:30.

Harvard Professors to Speak

In Cambridge, John Kenneth Galbraith, Paul M. Warburg Professor of Economics: George Wald, Higgins Professor of Biology; and Everett I. Mendelsohn, associate professor of the History of Science, will speak at various gatherings.

The November Action Committee has organized an 11:30 a.m. rally in Harvard Yard in support of the South Vietnamese National Liberation Front. The rally will include several speeches and a performance by guerilla theatre troupe.

Every Cambridge church has at least two services planned for today. A "Peace Celebration," featuring dance and music as well as a speech by Mendelsohn andreadings, will begin at noon in Memorial Church. A vigil and candle-watch on the Cambridge Common will follow memorial services conducted this evening in all Cambridge churches.

Many students will also participate in anti-war neighborhood canvassing occurring throughout the day.

Peace-In

At the conclusion of the Moratorium, there will be an Evening Peace-In in the Harvard Yard. No specific program has been planned for this activity.

With the exception of the Business School, very few graduate schools will hold classes today. Classes have been officially cancelled at the School of Education and for first and second-year medical students. Individual faculty members at the Law and Divinity Schools are free to cancel their classes. Business School students may cut their classes for the day, if they wish.

Leafletting

Students at all the graduate schools have planned leafletting activities, much of it in East Boston and Charlestown rather than in Cambridge.

The Law and Business Schools are holding forums, and a special morning prayer service and all-day peace fast are planned by students of the Divinity School. A group of students from the Business School will go to New York to march with businessmen on Wall Street.

Massive rallies will be held in New York, Washington and many other cities. There will also be teach-ins, forums, prayers, and meetings at which the names of those killed in Vietnam will be read. Many of the 17 Senators and 17 Congressmen who support the Moratorium will speak at rallies around the country.

Marchers will participate in a candlelight parade in New York from the United Nations to St. Patrick's Cathedral.

Many American businesses plan to stop work for the day, or a part of it. The four million member Alliance for Labor Action, formed by leaders of the United Auto Workers and the Teamsters Union, is backing the Moratorium.

Several groups, including the Veterans of Foreign Wars. have encouraged their members to fly American flags during the day as a counter action to the demonstration. Sen. Hugh Scott (R-Pa.) has called on Americans to drive with their headlights on during the day to show their support for Nixon's policies.