Coop Vote

OVER the next few days Harvard Coop members will receive a mailing from the Coop management asking approval of revised by-laws. The changes in the by-laws will make the management considerably more representative and deserve support.

The new regulations would replace the annual election meeting with a mailed ballot, making it easier to elect an alternate slate of directors, and enfranchise University employees and alumni who now are without a vote. Students would be given half the seats on the board of stockholders and board of directors, allowing a chance to oversee Coop working conditions, wage policies, and rebate dividends.

It is unwise of the Coop to allow approval of the by-laws only as a package. for some of the changes are questionable. The number of signatures required on a nominating petition is increased from 25 to 100 and students are guaranteed only one seat on the Executive Committee. The new by-laws specify no procedure for members to propose future changes in the by-laws and give Coop employees no representation in the Society's management. Even so the by-law revisions could make the Cooperative more responsive to its members and should be approved.