Capital Is Calm 100,000 Jam City

By The CRIMSONS Potomac bureau

WASHINGTON, D. C. -The downtown section of the capital was unusually crowded but orderly yesterday afternoon, as at least 100,000 demonstrators mingled with Washington residents.

The capital betrayed its fear of trouble, however, in the Pentagon's announcement that "some troops" had been stationed in several government buildings, including the Department of Justice and the Internal Revenue Service.

Police with night sticks have also formed a loose ring around the Justice building, which is bracing for a mass radical protest Saturday afternoon against the Chicago 8 trial.

But no more policemen than usual were on the streets in other parts of the city.

Crowds of demonstrators were gathered informally at about six plazas downtown to hear speakers or to listen to rock concerts. The largest crowd was in front of the National Gallery, about two blocks from the White House.

Hotbeads Quiet

Demonstrators were most visible in the downtown shopping center and on Constitution Avenue, areas which are adjacent to the White House.

DuPont Circle and Georgetown-traditional hangouts of Washington radical youths-were quiet, Nearby 14th Street. the center of past radical disturbances and black radical activity, was virtually deserted.

The Urban Coalition this morning began issuing appeals over Local radio and television stations for housing facilities. A Coalition spokeman said the District Government is seriously concerned about possible housing and food shortages Saturday.

Throughout the morning, the weather was gloomy. The temperature fell into the 40's with occasional light rain.