SPORTS MAIL

By N. ANDREW Pauley

To the Sports Editor of the CRIMSON:

I write with no malice aforethought, but only with a sincere hope. Each fall, for close to eight years, I have been watching in the crowded vestibules of the Harvard Clubs of New York and Boston, Dillon Field House and Briggs Cage, John Yoviesin graciously shaking bands and flashing shiny white teeth at the alumni and overseers. Mr Yoviesin has been with Harvard these eight years, and even more, and I can only query, why?

Waker Grant and Richie Szaro are Harvard halfbacks of notoriety that the most prestigious coach in the Midwest remarked about, assorting that they could have both been All-Americans. I am not in disagreement with the posture of football at Harvard College. I am only concerned with the tragedy of Harvard football, the incredible misuse of extremely capable talent and total lack of inspiration on the part of the coach. This last comment brings to mind last year's Harvard-Yale game. Yoviesin was a quitter. He gave up on his team, and yet in the post-game interview he flashed his incisors and said he knew that his team could do it. Harvard football, year after year, has every reason in the world to be Ivy League champion, except for one great disadvantage: it has kept the same poor coach for all these years. I recommend to anyone interested in this appalling state of affairs, to journey over to Cumnock Field some evening, and watch head coach Yovicsin, say with dazzling eclat a few dull and meaningless words, and watch his team practice under the complete direction of his assistant coaches

I write on the eve of the Yale game, for a variety of reasons. If Harvard loses, it might spell the untimely end for Mr. Yoviensin, and if I am to remain chivalrous I should throw my punches before my adversary is down and out. If Harvard wins, then the alumni and overseers might think that the season is salvaged and keep the smiling and hoping Mr. Yoviesin.

Despite this year's abysmal season, Mr. Yoviesin has somehow recived accolades far beyond his merit. He has been perpetrated on Harvard. John Yoviesin has lost 30 more games than the great Mr. Houghton, and if it weren't for the incredible talent the alumni drums up for him every year, and if he were left to his own coaching skills, he might conceivably lose the next 30 games in a row.