Survey Reveals Lowell Men Oppose Moving to Radcliffe

Students in East House and Lowell House have indicated in a poll that they generally favor the experiment in coeducational living proposed for this Spring, although only a minority say that they would be willing to participate.

Seventy-five per cent of East House and only 57 per cent of Lowell House responded to the poll distributed last week.

The girls were overwhelmingly in favor of the exchange. Of the 155 girls voting, only five opposed the idea. But only 98 girls said that they would like to move to Lowell House. Thirty refused to move at all, even from one floor to another.

Seventy-one per cent of those voting from Lowell House-only 41 per cent of the House-favored the experiment. Only 58 men, or 25 per cent of the respondents, however, said that they would be willing to move to Radcliffe.

Won't Move

Thirty per cent of the House is unwilling to move at all, and nine per cent oppose the experiment itself.

At a meeting in Cabot Hall last night, representatives from both Houses discussed the problems of accommodations, House affiliation, and freshman participation in the exchange.

A majority of those polled in Lowell House indicated that they would not move to Radcliffe unless they could have a single room.

No Freedom

This automatically eliminates freshman participation, since nearly all Radcliffe freshmen live in double rooms.

Lowell House Master Zeph Stewart said that he is "worried by a questionnaire which only had a 67 per cent response."

He added that "if a good majority of Lowell House is anxious to do this, then I would be anxious to help them. If this isn't true, however, then perhaps it isn't worth making so much disruption for the sake of a limited number of people for one term."