Wrestlers Face Unknown Quantity In First Ivy Match Here Tonight

The Harvard varsity wrestling team will encounter an unknown quantity tonight when it hosts Brown in the Ivy League opener for both teams at 8 p. m. in the IAB.

Sevelal of Brown's top wrestlers were injured last year, and Harvard coach John Lee is not sure just what the Crimson matmen can expect from the Bruins.

"They certainly are much improved over last year," he said. I think it will be a tight match.

Brown was 3-7 last season, and Harvard manhandled the Bruins in Providence, 29-7. Brown finished eighth in the 16-team Coast Guard Tournament last Saturday

Lee has shuffled his lineup in an attempt to gain strength in the lightweight classes, but the outlook is not too promising in the 126 and 134-pound matches.

Jay Galeski, who was pinned in the 118-pound match against Wesleyan Saturday, won a wrestle-off with Steve Monsulik, yesterday to earn starting position in the 126-pound class.

Letterman Bill Wasserstrom, who did not make the trip to Wesleyan, will take Monsuik's place at 134 and will face Brown captain Bob Davidson. Crimson captain Paul Catinella has not made weight at 134, so he will start at 142 against the Bruins.

Senior Tom Schnorr (118). who was edged out in the 126-pound class against Wesleyan, will move back to his usual weight category tonight.

An interesting confrontation has evolved in the 167-pound class, where Mark Faller will meet the Bruins' Dave Beemer. Faller and Beemer last met in the finals of the freshman Eastern Tournament two years ago, with Beemer winning in overtime on a referee's split decision. Beemer sat out last year with an injury.

Brown sophomore Frank Walsh should give Crimson heavyweight Jim Abbott a tough match. Abbott is not yet in top condition, but Lee feels that he can hold his own.

Dave Scanlon (190) hurt his back in practice Monday, but will probably start. If he cannot, sophomore Jim Cain (177) will be forced to move up to the heavier weight group.

Pat Coleman (150). Colin Mangrum (158), and Tony Rayner (177) complete the Harvard lineup. Mangrum defeated Mark Slutzker in another wrestle-off yesterday get the starting role at 158.

Freshman Equality

The Harvard freshmen face the Brown freshmen at 6:30 in what should be a battle of equals. Brown has one of its strongest freshman teams in recent years, and the Yardlings will have three starters in the lineup who missed last Saturday's opener at Wesleyan.