Five Swimmers Will Not Compete, But Victory Expected Over Brown

When asked recently about Brow's swimming team, a Brown Daily Herald reporter replied. "Have you ever seen our pool? It's like a dirty toilet."

The pool has conditioned the entire program, unfortunately, so Harvard travels to Providence tonight expecting a fairly easy victory. The Crimson will be seeking its fourth win of the season without a loss.

First Things First

But Harvard is going to make it easier for the Bruins. Five members of the team will not make the trip, most of them in deference to a Chem 20 hourly the next day. "We feel we'll be all right, though," head coach Bill Brooks said yesterday. The five are Toby Gerhart, Dave Powlison, Tom Wallace, Johnny Munk, and Eric Hanson.

Brown isn't winless at this point. Holy Cross lost to the Bruins, 53-37, last week, and the score could have been even more lopsided if Brown had wanted. But then again. Holy Cross swims only twice a week, and in a borrowed pool.

Brown's ?e?lley relay team is reasonably good, and Cy Miller is a talented competitor in the butterfly, Steve Thomas and Pete Czekanski can also be counted on for a few points every meet, but they will have to scramble to stay with even Harvard's backup men.

Memory Lane

Brooks pointed out that if the meet becomes close, he could use individuals in three different events. All he cares about is avoiding what happened in 1939-Brown won. 38-37. It had never happened before, and it has never happened since, so perhaps Brown will have an added incentive.

Two events, the 1000-free and the three, meter dive, will not be swum because Brown is in the New England League. rather than the Eastern League, and the New England meets don't have those two events. It is particularly appropriate that there is no three-meter dive since the pool is only eight feet deep.

Training

While Harvard expects to win despite the lack of five of its men, Brooks remembers when Princeton tried to do the same thing about seven years ago. After a four-hour train trip, the powerful Tigers lost to a typical Brown team.

The freshmen should also have little trouble beating Brown. The 2-0 Yardlings swim at 6:30 p.m. The varsity starts at 8 p.m.