Crimson Skaters Crush UNH, 7-1

By Mark H. Odonoghue

Captain Bobby Bauer's hat trick highlighted Harvard's six-goal explosion in the final period as the Crimson hockey team defeated the University of New Hampshire, 7-1, Saturday at Watson Rink.

The victory--Harvard's seventh consecutive win--upped its record to 14-4-1. With undisputed hold on second place behind Cornell in the E.C.A.C. standings, Harvard is a sure bet for the post-season E.C.A.C. tournament.

For UNH, however, the defeat dealt a serious blow to its tournament hopes. Its two losses in two days--B.C. edged the Wildcats, 3-2, Friday--lowered its record to 17-5-1.

Harvard's showing was its second outstanding performance in a week. The skaters defeated B.U., 5-3, last Monday in their finest showing of the season and they were just as effective against UNH.

Significantly, the Crimson won handily without the usual contributions from its high-scoring sophomore line. Joe Cavanagh continued his scoring streak with two assists, but neither Dan DeMichele or Steve Owen picked up any points.

Instead, the newly-formed line of George McManama at center and Bobby Bauer and Ron Mark on the wings provided the scoring punch with its four goals and five assists.

McManama, who had been playing defense before Terry Flaman returned, led the team in points with his four assists while Bauer added three goals and Mark a goal and an assist.

The Wildcats opened the scoring at 2:47 of the first period, but Harvard tied the score at 10:27 when Chris Gurry gunned a slap shot past goalie Rick Metzer on a Crimson power play.

With the score still tied 1-1 in the third period, Bauer scored the first of his three on another power play situation.

A minute later Jack Turco scored on a similar play, whipping a 15-foot wrist shot into the net.

After that Harvard was in complete control of the contest.

Bauer tallied twice within 18 seconds on tip-ins in front of the crease to make the score 5-1 and gain his hat trick. Then, with two Wildcats and one Crimson man in the penalty box, Dave Jones added the sixth goal on a slap shot from the blue line.

Both teams finally regained full strength at 13:40 and less than a minute later Ron Mark whipped a short shot by Metzer to complete the rout.