Fainsod Panel Will Allow Some Student Participation

By Mona Sarfaty

Four students will act as consultants to the nine-member Fainsod Committee, appointed at the February 11 Faculty meeting to study the decision-making processes of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences and the ways that students might participate in them.

The four students--Kenneth M. Glazier '69, Kenneth M. Kaufman '69, Steven H. Kaplan '69, and Paul Munyon graduate student--are past chairmen of the SFAC, HRPC, HUC and GSA, respectively.

According to Merle Fainsod, Carl J. Pforzheimer University professor, the students will participate in selected meetings of the Committee as individuals who have had experience with the decision-making processes at Harvard. They will not represent their respective organizations.

The students will hear and give testimony in addition to soliciting ideas on the role students might play in decision-making. At the first meeting of the committee of Friday, decision-making on curriculum and student life will be discussed.

In the immediate future only the four students will participate in the Committee's investigation. However, selected meetings will eventually be open to any student who wishes to testify, Fainsod said.

Faculty Mandate

The Committee decided in favor of this limited student participation at its first meeting on February 12. By arranging for student consultants, the Fainsod committee has gone as far as possible, under its present mandate from the Faculty, toward including students in its activities.

Only a vote of the Faculty could give students voting power or actual membership.

March Decision

An attempt to obtain student membership on the Committee failed at the last Faculty meeting when the Harvard-Radcliffe Policy Committee was unable to place its resolution on the docket. According to Kaplan, the resolution will be discussed at the March meeting of the Faculty.