Mermen Should Drown Quakers In Dartmouth and Yale Warm-up

By Bennett H. Beach

The varsity swimmers face a weak University of Pennsylvania team this afternoon in Philadelphia, but their minds are likely to be on upcoming meets with Dartmouth and Yale.

Peen is accustomed to losing swimming meets. The Quakers are 5-7 overall, and a dismal 1-5 in the Eastern League, but this season still ranks as their finest since 1960.

Dartmouth, the surprise team in the league this year, is now in second place with only one loss. The one defeat was at the hands of Yale, which demonstrated its superiority over the rest of the Eastern loop teams with a 71-42 triumph over the Indians. It was the Bulldogs' 49th consecutive win.

Today's meet in Philadelphia should be a good warmup, if nothing else. Despite its lack of success, Pann has a few excellent swimmers. Dave Gleason, Steve Kowal, and Les Frisch and the three best competitors, and are probably the only Quakers with a reasonable chance to earn firsts.

Gleason is a sophomore who is now swimming well after an early-season illness. His best times in the 500-yard and 1000-yard freestyles are only slightly slower than those of Harvard's Steve Krause, who has yet to lose this year.

Kowal, also a sophomore, swims freestyle at 100 and 200 yards and is a consistent winner in both. Good duels would be between Kowal and the Crimson's Mike Cahalan and Toby Gerhart in these two events. Again, Brooks may use alternates in these races to give Penn a chance to earn some points.

Frisch excels in the breastroke, but would be a slight underdog if Steve Baumgart enters for Harvard. Frisch also swims the backstroke with success. Other strong individuals for Penn are Bill Porterfield in the sprints, Peter Radmayne in the butterfly, and Bruce Morrow in the long freestyles behind Gleason.