Soc Rel Faculty Wants Rules For All Courses

The results of a staw vote taken at a special Soc Rel Department faculty meeting yesterday revealed that a large majority of the group favors establishing general rules for all its offerings rather than acting on the specific case of Soc Rel 148-9.

Inkeles Proposal

Alex A. Inkeles, professor of Sociology, first presented the proposal to the Soc Rel Committee on Undergraduate Instruction (CUI) on Saturday. The idea of setting down general guide lines was considered as one of three approaches the CUI could take in working out a final motion for the regular faculty meeting next Tuesday, Franklin Sampson, CUI chairman and lecturer in Social Relations, said yesterday.

The faculty first passed motions to allow the CUI's two graduate and one undergraduate members to sit in on the meeting and to defer any binding action on Soc Rel 148-9 until next week.

Other Proposals

Besides the Inkeles proposal, they considered two others:

* to refer isues raised by the radical course to the CEP;

* to endorse the course as it stands without any review at this time.

Sampson said that CUI members would still be free to consider these two approaches, despite the faculty's straw vote.

Jack R. Stauder, instructor in Anthropology and 148-9's head sectionman, said that he was "not unhappy' with the meeting's results. He added that the CUI probably will modify the Inkeles proposal so that it would not "artificially limit enrollment or lead to more political friction."