MILITARY TIES ...

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

Dr. Pusey's statements Tuesday concerning ROTC seem to be the clearest expression so far of the alienation of administration from student body. There's clearly a gap somewhere in this best-of-all-possible academic communities when the president talks about "a long, friendly, happy experience" with ROTC while students are concerned with the immediacy of the Vietnamese War.

Pusey said "we [whoever that is] want it [ROTC] here" so that students can use it to satisfy their military obligations. But until a month ago conscientious objectors who were satisfying Selective Service requirements by alternative civilian work, were barred from employment at the University. A more accurate description of why President Pusey wants ROTC is his statement that "it's terribly important for the United States of America that college people go into the military." As a conscientious objector, I disagree on the importance of the military, but I realize the president's view is closer to the majority than mine. However, I think it's disturbing that President Pusey is beginning to preserve "the University's freedom from outside interference or control" ("Information About Harvard") by equating the interests of Harvard with those of the government. The president of Harvard would do better by trying keep Harvard free, rather than cooperative with Washington: in relation to the ROTC issue, there is a definite conflict. Bob Reitherman '72