CRIME CORRECTED AGAIN...

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

Under the headline "Four Professors Cancel Lectures in Protest of 'Misuse of Science,'" you reported on 28 February that I am one of "four Harvard scientists who have decided to scrap their regular course lectures on March 4," and would replace the "regular technical material next Tuesday with discussions of the relationship of science to society."

Since your reporter did not attempt to check on the facts with me, I am not surprised that he made many mistakes in so few lines. Please help us to avoid confusions in the operations of the course, Natural Sciences 2, on Tuesday, March 4, by printing the following corrections of the erroneous parts of your story.

1) Nothing has been cancelled; lectures are to be as usual, on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, and conference-labs are to be held as usual on Tuesday, March 4.

2) Nat Sci 2 always has had a component of discussions concerning the relationship of science to society. As part of this activity, I have asked the class some weeks ago to study selected factors involved in the March 4 research stoppage at M.I.T., and to write a short background paper on some concrete aspect of this topic, based on reading chosen from an extensive reading list. This paper is due March 3.

3) To supplement this classwork, I have told members of my class that I shall go with those who wish to attend some of the seminars given at M.I.T. on March 4, and later to discuss their background papers and the material raised in the M.I.T. seminars.

I happen to subscribe to most of the points in the statement released by the M.I.T. faculty in explanation of their March 4 activity. But I believe that in my own class the best way to deal with this matter is to help each student, regardless of his won views, to get additional information on this immensely important topic through reading and discussion in the context of the living case study offered by the M.I.T. event. Gerald Holton   Professor of Physics