Kennedy Institute to Offer Summer Grants

The Institute of Politics announced yesterday its awards program for summer studies leading to senior honors theses.

Though funds have only been appropriated for approximately 12 students, Janet Fraser, assistant director of the Institute's Student Program, said there is a good possibility that more funds will be allocated later this Spring for several additional awards.

Each recipient of an award will receive a grant covering his expenses and an honorarium of $600 "to compensate him for what he might otherwise have earned in a summer job." A four-member faculty selection committee under the chairmanship of John Clive, chairman of the History and Literature Department, will make the awards in mid-April. Three students, all members of the Institute's Student Advisory Committee, will serve as "consultants" to the faculty selection committee.

Last year 11 awards were given to do research on topics from "Rural poverty in the Mississippi Delta" to "Writing a book of social fiction on California in 1968." The expense allowances ranged from $150 to $600.

This year the faculty selection committee is seeking applications from students in the natural sciences as well as other areas. Technically all projects are eligible which relate "to prospective thesis research but which also involve direct observation of political or governmental processes or social or economic phenomena," according to the application form.

Application forms are available at the Institute of Politics on 78 Mt. Auburn St. They are due March 17.