Tennis Team Beats M.I.T. 7-2; Washauer, Jarvis Win Handily

By Samuel Z. Goldhaber

The varsity tennis team swept the singles yesterday to beat M.I.T. 7-2, in the home opener as number two Rocky Jarvis and number five Bill Washauer won their matches easily in two sets.

Washauer cut down his opponent, 6-2, 6-2, Jarvis won almost as easily at 6-1, 6-4.

The rest of the singles went the full three sets. Larry Terrell at number four and Steve Devereux in the number six spots lost their second sets. The two matches still were relatively one-sided as Terrell won 6-2, 4-6, 6-1 and Devereux triumphed, 6-3, 4-6, 6-2.

Terry Oxford made a very good come-back after losing his first, 3-6. He wrapped up his match by capturing the final two sets, 6-4, 6-1.

Grueling

The most grueling battle was between the Engineer's top man, Bill McKinley and Crimson captain John Levin. In a three and one-half hour match, Levin finally won, 9-7, 4-6, 12-10.

After victory was assured, the Crimson experimented with its player combinations in the doubles. Instead of Levin and "Jarvis, Washauer and Jarvis teamed up to beat McKinley and the number six man, 12-5.

The other two doubles matches were played by second-string men. The Crimson's Butch Kawakami and Bill Ball were defeated, 10-12, while Erich Wise and Dick Rosenthal lost their match, 8-12.

After the match yesterday, Jarvis said, "We needed the momentum of winning a lot of singles. If we get through this week," he added, "we'll be in good shape."

Tough Challenge

Today at 2 p.m., Harvard faces a respected Amherst team. Although Harvard shut out Amherst last year, 9-0, today's match should be tougher. This spring Amherst's number two and three spot are held by sophomores, both of whom beat their Harvard freshman opponents last year.

Last season's Amherst matches were close, and some Amherst starters were out with injuries. This year it is the Crimson team which is injury-ridden. The Crimson, however, is looking past today's match to Saturday, when the first league contest will be played at Penn.