Two Runs In Ninth Inning Save Victory Over Eagles

Harvard's varsity baseball team shook off a ninth-inning mental lapse to rally with two out to gain a 3-2 win over Boston College yesterday at Soldiers' Field.

Right-hander Bob Dorwart allowed only five hits and went the distance to bring Harvard's season record to 5-3. The Crimson is now 2-0 in the Greater Boston League.

With the score tied 1-1 in the top of the ninth, Dorwart easily retired the first two batters, but yielded a triple to left-fielder Bill Medea. The Eagles then brought in pinch-hitter Mike Whitney and Coach Loyal Park decided to walk Whitney to get to second-string catcher Rich McGlauglin.

After one pitch to McGlauglin, Whitney sped toward second before Dorwart had even started his motion. Dorwart quickly fired to second baseman John Ballantyne, but Whitney stopped, forcing Ballantyne to run him down while Medea broke for home. Ballantyne threw home to catcher Jack Turco, and the umpire ruled Medea safe in a close call.

Harvard appeared on its way to tying the game in its half of the ninth when Pete Bernhard tripled to left-centerfield with one out. Neil Hurley hit a sharp grounder to third baseman Bob Murphey who fired high to the plate. Bernhard slid and although catcher McGlauglin never bent over to make the tag, the umpire called Bernhard out. A violent protest by captain John Ignacio failed to change the decision.

With two out and Hurley on first, Harvard's fortunes appeared hopeless. But B.C. pitcher Jim Curley walked Dan DeMichele and Pete Varney on nine pitches to load the bases.

Eagle coach Eddie Pellagrini called on pithcer Bill Gerrity to face Ignacio. Gerrity went to a 3-2 count before he walked in the trying run. A single to left by sophomore Bill Kelly scored DeMichele from third and ended the game.

Springfield jumped to an early lead in the first inning when second baseman Bill Porter beat out a grounder to short and was advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt. John Salmon drove the run in with a single through the pitcher's mound.

Tie in Second

The bottom half of Harvard's batting order tied the score in the second. With one out, Ballantyne bunted down the third base chalk line. He stole second and advanced to third when B.C. catcher Bob Maher threw the ball into center field.

Jack Turco lofted a sacrifice fly to left that scored Harvard's first run. Two walks and a base hit by pitcher Dorwart loaded the bases, but the Crimson failed to score again.