Six Students to Start Term With AAS Group

The standing Committee on Afro-American Studies (AAS) will meet today for the first time since early April, with six students joining the seven Faculty members on the committee.

Edward S. Mason, acting dean of the Faculty, yesterday released the names of the six student members of the committee. The students--three from potential AAS concentrators and three from the Association of African and Afro-American Students (Afro)--were added to the committee by a Faculty vote of April 22.

The AAS concentrators met Monday night to choose their three representatives. They are Kathryn Bowser '72, Loretta J. Hardge '72, and Clarence James '72.

Afro Members

Afro chose its representatives sometime after the AAS meeting and presented its choices to Mason yesterday. The three Afro members on the committee are Myles V. Lynk '70, Mark D. Smith '72, and Afro president Leslie F. Griffin '70.

The committee's chairman--Richard A. Musgrave, professor of Economics--said that the expanded committee will meet this morning at 10:15. The committee suspended its meetings in early April during a controversy over proposed AAS concentration plans, and has not met since the Faculty's April 22 vote.

Faculty Members

The other Faculty members of the committee are Zeph Stewart, Master of Lowell House; Juan Marichal, professor of Romance Languages and Literatures; Charles A. Whitney, professor of Astronomy; Talcott Parsons, professor of Sociology; Harold Amos, professor of Bacteriology and Immunology; and John F. Kain, associate professor of Economics.

Two of the original members of the committee--Daniel M. Fox '59, assistant professor of History, and Henry Rosovsky, professor of Economics--resigned after the Faculty voted to add student representatives. Kain and Amos replaced them.