Radcliffe Sailors win; Set for Title Defense

By Carol R. Sternhell

The Radcliffe sailors won the final New England Women's Sailing Association regatta of the season on Sunday, May 18, to remain at the pinnacle of female seamanship in the area.

The Cliffies are now preparing for the defense of their National Intercollegiate Yacht Racing Championship. M.I.T. will host the national event June 12 through June 14.

Using the low point system, the top skipper in the regatta two Sundays ago was junior Sandy Storer, the Radcliffe captain. Nan Stevens was the crew. Jane Chalmers also was a key factor in the win, assisted by crew member Lisa Fulweiler.

The runner-up to the Cliffies was M.I.T. The Tech girls' point total of 39 was five too many to earn first place. Jackson (48) and Boston University (49) were third and fourth. Other entries included Skidmore, Simmons, Wellesley, and Mount Holyoke.

The Radcliffe regatta, one of the oldest New England Women's I.S.A. competitions, was originally to have been held in early April, but was postponed. The winner receives the Shrew Cup.