'Cliffe Holds Commencement Today

By Thomas P. Southwick

Over 300 Radcliffe seniors will receive their degrees today and for the second time in the 87-year history of the College will hear a student speaker during the ceremonies.

Kathy Kauffer '69, a member of SDS, will deliver a speech in favor of the eight demands just after the conferring of degrees. The innovation in the ceremonies came as a result of a petition signed by nearly 70 per cent of the senior class favoring the demands and calling for some radical action at Commencement.

The Radcliffe Administration made a place for a radical speaker during the ceremonies. The seniors then elected Miss Kauffer to give the speech which was prepared in advance and approved by the class.

Last year was the first time in Radcliffe history a students was allowed to speak during commencement. Rachel R. Lieberman '68 read a prepared speech supporting men who refuse to serve in the armed forces.

During Commencement ceremonies Founders' Awards will be presented to Mary E. Switzer, a former Radcliffe trustee and currently Administrator of the Social and Rehabilitation Strvice of the Department of Health, Education and Welfare, and to G. Wallace Woodworth, professor of Music and for 33 years director of the Radcliffe Choral Society.

Depending on upcoming merger plans, today's Radcliffe Commencement could be the last for the College. Mrs. Mary I. Bunting, the last president of Radcliffe, will preside.

Commencement week at Radcliffe, which began on Sunday, includes a variety of picnic suppers, champagne receptions, panels and parties for members of the class of 1899 through 1968 as well as the graduating seniors. Tomorrow the 50th reunion dinner for the class of 1919 will be held in Cabot Hall with Bernince Brown Cronkhitem, Dean of the Graduate School Emerita, as guest of honor.

On Saturday the annual meeting of the Radcliffe College Alumnae Association will be held at 10 a.m. The association will hold elections for new officers and directors