Harvard Friends of Crown Prince Invited to Katmandu for Marriage

Several persons associated with Harvard have been invited to the wedding of Birenda Bir Bikram Shah Dev, Crown Prince of Nepal, which may prove to be the biggest Katmandu social event of the decade.

Prince Shah Dev studied political science and economics and lived in Quincy House while a special student here in 1967-68. He was also a member of the Fox Club.

Among those invited to the Nepalese bash are Charles W. Dunn, Master of Quincy House; Dr. Leona Baumgartner, visiting professor of Social Medicine; Joel M. Porte, Allston Burr Senior Tutor in Quincy House; John Darling, steward of the Fox Club; and Ko-Yung Tung, a first-year student in the Law School.

Smorgasbord

The Prince's education has been a true smorgasbord. In addition to his year of study at Harvard, the Prince attended an Indian primary school, went to Eton and the University of Tokyo, and spent last year on a kibbutz in Israel.

Two thousand guests, including 81 heads of states, are expected to participate in the six-day celebration for the Feb. 28 wedding in Narayanhiti Royal Palace.

It is unlikely that either Dunn, who met the Prince through his association with Quincy House. or Darling will be able to attend the wedding. The round-trap takes four days and costs approximately $1300.

The invitations, printed in Nepali and English in red ink on heavy dark paper, read: "By Command of Their Majesties the King and Queen of Nepal on the auspicious occasion of the wedding of His Royal Highness Crown Prince Bierenda Bir Bikram Shah Dev with Her Royal Highness Princess Aishwarya Rajyalaxmi Devi, the Chairman of the wedding committee and Chief of the Royal Household Bada Casi Puspa Raj has the honour and pleasure to request the company of-at Narayanhiti Royal Palace.