Thieves Hit Dorms Over Vacation; Harvard Police Catch 3 Suspects

All Harvard Houses and two freshman dormitories were bunglarized during Christmas vacation in what University Police called "the worst series of dormitory thefts that we have ever seen."

Stereos, television sets, and photography equipment were among the articles stolen. Harvard Police Lt. Francis Shannon estimated that losses reached "many thousands of dollars." University Police are still receiving theft reports, he said.

The police have apprehended and charged three Dorchester youths for the crimes.

University Police discovered Dec, 29 that every door in M-entry of Kirkland House had been broken open. By forcing open firedoors into adjoining entryways, the intruders were able to enter 25 suites in Kirkland.

Later that day, two unidentified youths were seen in the vicinity of Kirkland, Winthrop, and Lowell Houses. In one encounter they disappeared onto Boylston Street carrying two filled laundry bags and a portable typewriter.

The following day University Police alerted House superintendants and dispatched plainsclothemen to the area. They nabbed two suspects and reportedly charged them with breaking and entering, illegal possession of hypodermic needles, and illegal possession of narcotics. A third suspect, also from Dorchester, has since been charged.

"We have traced many of the stolen goods to a pawn shop in Boston, and expect a good percentage of the articles to be returned," Lt. Shannon said.

"I got back from vacation before my roommate, and was feeling real lonely," Lawrence A. Boguchwal '72, a member of Leverett House and a robbery victim, said. "But then I discovered that our room had had some visitors. The cigarette ashes on the TV was really fingerprint dust."

Boguchwal, who hopes to recover his tape recorder, took his loss lightly. "It's given me the first opportunity to meet the guys on the other side of the fire door," he said.